Epiphany House has had a long and varied history. It has served as a vicarage, a bishop's palace, a school and in more recent years it was the home of the sisters of the Community of the Epiphany, an Anglican religious order.
Famous people have passed through our doors, including John Wesley, who stayed in the House during one of his preaching tours, described it as: "A House for a nobleman, a most beautiful situation of any I have seen in the county." While Edward White Benson, the first Bishop of Truro (and later Archbishop of Canterbury) lived here, he devised the well known Christmas service of nine lessons and carols. His son Arthur, reminiscing about his home, said: "No sweeter place could well be imagined! In the soft air trees and shrubs grew with great luxuriance".
In 2003 the House was gifted to the ecumenical charitable trust (The Epiphany Trust (Truro) Ltd) in order that it can be used as a retreat and conference centre with a rhythm of prayer and worship at its heart. As well as offering hospitality to a variety of churches and public sector groups, the Trust now runs its own programme of events throughout the year. It seeks to provide physical and spiritual space in order that an ecumenical ministry of hospitality, Christian outreach, pastoral care, education, spiritual formation and guidance can be offered.
- Epiphany House, Truro, Cornwall, TR1 3DR
- APAC - Tel: 01825 761143 - For all enquiries about course content and dates.
- Epiphany House - Tel: 01872 272249
For more information about Epiphany House - Epiphany House and Conference Centre
- From the west of Cornwall, take the A30 to Chiverton Cross roundabout and continue on A30 eastbound until you reach the B3284. Turn right here for Truro.
- From the east of Cornwall, take the A30 westbound until you reach the B3284. Turn left here for Truro.
- From both directions, after you have turned off the A30, continue through Shortlanesend towards Truro. Pass the War Memorial on your left and continue downhill. You will pass Chainwalk Drive on your left and then Hendra Road on your right. Soon after this, turn left into Higher Trehaverne. There is a white house opposite the turning. Continue along Higher Trehaverne, passing the school on your right. The driveway into Epiphany House is the second left.
- From Truro centre, take the B3284 (Perranporth Road) out of Truro. Pass under the railway bridge and take the second road on the right (Higher Trehaverne), then the second turning on the left leading to the drive of Epiphany House.